mercredi 17 novembre 2010

Fashion & Design Made in China?

My Thumbs up:  Lately, I have been working on re-doing a king size duvet cover to match a custom made queen size.  I thought it would be nice to save money by buying one already made at a discount retail store, which will give me a very nice looking duvet cover at a really good price!  Looking on the label, it was made in China.  So, not a bad investment, not at all.  I've undone the sides to cut them, saved some pieces to add a tailored piece at the bottom, and finished it off by doing the same double stitching there was before.  Well, lets just say that it took me hours and hours of labour!  Made me think : How could it be done so nicely at such a low cost?  I imagine this Chinese person having to make hundreds of these in a day to get a good pay!  Really! at the speed I was going, my paycheck would've been reeaaally small... Can't say more than I'm very impressed!

My thumbs down: Just like everyone, I go out to do some shopping to buy clothes at the retail store.  Find nice shirts, rather expensive, but I have to look nice.  Look at the tags inside, made in China, OK.  After warring them 1 day, holes began to appear!  After, one delicate wash, they got even bigger!  Well, even if I would decide to go back at the store where I bought them, get in all this trouble to exchange them or get my money back, spend money on gas and stress like crazy because of this story, why wasn't it done the right way in the first place?  I totally understand the fact that a worker needs to make as many as possible to have a suitable (and I mean suitable...) paycheck at the end of the day, week or month, but holes in my new clothes???  

Well, it's a good thing I'm not too bad with a sewing machine, because now, I'm paying myself to redo my clothes at a turtle speed!  I can also say: "Look!  I've re-done my closet"!  Ah!  My sewing machine, my new best friend!

2 commentaires:

  1. Hi my Geeky Artist other half! You have opened up a big, gaping, discussion. I worked with the Orient for years and the craftsmanship can be humbling at times and frustrating at other times. I believe the only reason certain beautiful products unravel is that greed infiltratess at some part of the creation process. One thing's for sure, the designer's and workers are not at fault. To come up with and execute such fine work only to have it implode half way across the world is not the maker's intention.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I totally agree with you, but still! I think my thumbs up and down confirms what you're saying! But, don't you just hate it when you have to re-sew your buttons, pants and stitches just after you wore it once? Plus, not everyone can put back the pieces together at no cost or ask grandma to sew back a NEW button since you've lost the other one when it exploded in your bfriends face! Kind a wondering what his face was doing there in the first place? lol!

    RépondreSupprimer